Friday, October 07, 2005

Famous and 40...

Well, here I am, on the cusp of my 40th birthday. It doesn’t feel any different. I don’t know if I was expecting it to but it feels like any other day. And maybe that is a good thing. I supposed that if I wake up tomorrow and find that my back hurts, my hair has fallen out, and I have trouble walking then all those things about 40 being over the hill and it is all a slow slide down are true. But you know what? I don’t believe them. A lot of people have said a number of different things about turning 40. Most of them are making fun of me being “old.” Well, most of those people are jealous because in all reality, even though they are maybe a bit younger than me in age, I am far younger; physically, mentally, and emotionally than they are! (No wonder my wife says she has three kids!) But I have received a number of great comments from some of my friends who have turned 40 or will shortly. One of the best is, “Turning 40 doesn’t mean you are getting older, just getting less stupid.” Another one was “40 is just a number, don’t worry about it.” And my attitude about it is that turning 40 is far better than the alternative of not being able to turn 40! Think about it.

One thing that does bother me is that I am still waiting for someone to discover me and make me famous. Recently, at my office, I aired a program about fame and those who are desperate to be famous. So many want the fame like movie stars want. Others want fame for the riches it can bring. And others want the kind of fame (and I can identify with this desire) that lets you be remembered when you are gone.

How many people really make a mark in their life and are remembered for it? If a person desires the fame of celebrity, that is great, but in reality, how many celebrity stars are really remembered after their passing? Only a few are really remembered. It is my belief that the only people who are really remembered for all time are politicians who really make a difference, like Washington, Lincoln, and Churchill as a few examples. Other people are the inventors and scientists that create or discover something that truly benefits mankind. (Galileo, Newton, Curie) Others are the explorers who go where no man has gone before so that others can follow safely. (Magellan, Columbus, Armstrong) And finally there are the artists who truly create a new standard or level for their art. (Monet, DaVinci, Beethoven, and Elvis) And then there are those remembered for their military prowess. (Alexander, Napoleon, Grant, Patton) These kinds of people are really remembered for their contributions or action on behalf of mankind.

Of course, there are those that are remembered for what they did to mankind. I think we know about them and their deeds are usually on the notorious side of fame. That is certainly not the type of fame I desire.

I would like to be remembered. I don’t think I and going to be discovering anything fantastic soon, or inventing anything extraordinary, and I am now officially too old to serve in the military. So, I guess I should just be happy with the fame I get from being a good person (which I do try to be), a good husband and dad, and from being a good friend. Why should I care if someone I don’t know, knows who I am? As long as those who do know me, think I am a decent person and good guy. Isn’t that enough?

So do I really want to be famous? In all honesty, yeah. Probably. It would be nice… I think. Especially if a bit more money is involved! But in the end, it most likely will not happen, so I think that I should just concentrate on being the same guy I have always been for the last 40 years and try to improve on what I have already accomplished. I have a great family, great home, good job, terrific friends, and I am comfortable. I think that is pretty good. If I can raise happy, healthy, outgoing, friendly, and ethical kids, then maybe they will be famous one day, and I can live vicariously through them. It is enough to hope for.

Enough for now. I am going to stop talking now and enjoy my last of the being in my 30’s!

Tomorrow is another day and I will hit my 40’s just like I did in my 30’s and 20’s. Looking to have a good time, and to keep going forward.

Later!

No comments: