Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The best four days of gaming....

GENCON... which for those of you who are not familiar with it, is the biggest gaming convention in the US or at least this side of the Mississippi. At it, you will find all kinds of games and gaming. Anything from Video games to role-playing. Strategy to kid's games. Hundreds of games are planned in the four day event.

I have never been before this year. I have known about it for at least the last 20 years but never attended until this past week (August 11-12) in Indy. It was my virgin year and WOW! was I impressed.

There were close to 30,000 gamers there all with one thing in common. A love of gaming. Yes, they were all, for the most part, gamer geeks. But at least they all were comfortable being a gamer geek. There were gamers of all shapes and sizes, and from all walks of life. I was pleasantly surprised to see a large number of families there, and even more surprised to look around at the role-playing gamers and see that most of them are of an age group of 30-50. Interesting...

And there was so much stuff to look at! It was amazing! I saw literally millions of dollars worth of gaming material! Too much to actually take in, with only a full day and a half to be there.

I was not really expecting the costume show that seemed to go on, all day long. I guess I was being naive, as many of these gamers were big sci-fi/fantasy fans and this was a perfect place to dress up like their favorite characters, or as their own characters from some of the role playing games. (Or they were the LARP folks.. Live action role playing)

Well, it was a blast and I will be attending next year. Certainly for a longer period of time. And I will know better what to sign up for. (No more of this getting my butt kicked at a game in less than a minute!!!)

Hopefully my family can come with me. It would have been better with someone to share it with.

Later! (and game on!!!)

No comments: