Thursday, September 28, 2006

The making of a geek....

Well, intentional or not, my wife has announced to my son, that his father, me, has turned him into a geek. How, you might ask, can a mother be so mean and unfeeling to her son's feelings at such a tender age? Well, because she isn't telling him anything he doesn't already know...

Last night while sitting on the couch watching Disney Channel's Ned's Declassified School Notes with him... yes, it is a good show, I mentioned that after a recent D&D game I hosted, his character had advanced a level and I was telling him some of the details. He was excited and began to ask some questions when his mom came in and asked what we were talking about. He explained and she the proceeded to tell him that he had been turned into a geek by another geek... his father. But what makes this so funny, at least to me, is that despite the good natured ribbing that she gives he and I, she too is pretty geeky herself...

You see, she proved it by showing us the new Yierd Al Yankovic video, WHITE AND NERDY, which if you can follow along, pretty much details alot of what we as a family or as individuals do or have as hobbies. My wife included. She can quote Monty Python, spends times at Renaissance faires, designs websites and a number of other things mentioned in this video. The video is quite funny and you should check it out. But beware, you might find yourself identifying with it!!!

And do you know what? I like that my son has a bunch of my "geeky" interests... It give us more in common and brings us closer. (And it gives me someone to game with.) Even my daughter wrote on a school assignment, why I am someone she treasures... because I teach her... swordfighting... I can't wait to hear her teacher's reation to that one...

A friend of mine recently made some cool cards that are "Official Card Carrying Geek Cards" so that some of those deserving enough can be Official Card Carrying Geeks! I think that maybe I need to get some and hand them out to my family....

Well, I am off to do more geek work on my family... oh, and let it be known that my wife has agreed to accompany me to spend time together next year at, of all places... GenCon! Who is geeky now?!?!? (Another reason why I love her..)

later!

No comments: