Monday, June 18, 2007

One of the toughest things I am going to do....

Hello All!

This coming Thursday, the 21st of June, I am going to have to do one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I will be letting my 12 year old son travel to another part of the world, where for the most part, I will be unable to help him, watch over him, guide him, comfort him, yell at him or do anything more than talk to him on the phone. He is leaving for England, Wales and Ireland to spend three weeks abroad with the People To People Student Ambassador program. He was nominated and selected from a group of Central Illinois Students to go on this cultural exchange program and for the last 6 months we have been working to raise funds to send him. Well, now the time has come. I think it has snuck up on everyone in our family. I think that for a very long time, my son thought that it would really not happen, but indeed it really is. I know that he has many apprehensions about leaving and traveling so far away from his family. I have the same ones. However, this program has been doing this sort of thing for almost 30+years and is very well organized and well planned.
Aside from being very proud of him for going, I am jealous. I have never been anywhere other than Canada and that cannot really be said of going to a foreign country, especially when I have only traveled to Toronto. He is going to get to see and do so much. The itinerary they have laid out for him is amazing! I highly doubt he will even think about calling home he will be so busy and moving around.
Thursday is coming up fast. I am quite nervous but I do not want to let him see that. I am sure there will be tears upon leaving but he will not see concern in my face. I hope to add entries to the blog as he progresses in his travel. But for now, all I want to do is get through Thursday and see him off safely and comfortably. Other than making sure he is well prepared, that is about all I will be able to do for him. Wish me luck!

Later!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow. I can't believe the little hobbit is 12 and in Europe without Mom or Dad. Amazing experience for him. Wow.

Deane Geiken said...

If this is the Cindy I think it is, you are correct! I big step in his life! I am really really jealous of him! Come back for photos and stories!