Friday, December 21, 2007

VTX Riders Creed


I found this on a recent visit to a VTX owners website. It is the riders creed for VTX Riders. Some of it is a bit silly, but deep down it strikes true and I would have to say that it is pretty much a good creed. (a bit long though!) (( and for those who don't know, "X" stands for the VTX bike, not "insert bike name here", although I suppose that could work too!))




From the VTX Riders website:


Rider’s Credo... (UPDATED Version)


I ride purely, and only, because it is fun and offers me the opportunity to meet others of like mind.


I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.


I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.


I ride my X, not wear it. My X is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and my pleasure.


My X is not a toy. It is an extension of my personality.


I strive to learn what I can about the inner-workings of my X, from the most basic to the most complex, so that I may be able to help others who may not have the mechanical ability to understand the complexity of the X.


I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my X. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my X, so that we may keep each other alive. Working together in harmony, we will become a respected team.


I do not fear death. My fear is what a premature death due to unsafe riding habits would do to my family. I will ride safely in order to protect them from the negative impact.


I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is that they take the opportunity to get to know me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself.


I will never be the aggressor on the highway.


I will show respect to other riders more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can.


I will not show disrespect to other riders less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. It will be my task to mentor new riders into the lifestyle of the rider, so that a respect for those who ride may be gained from everyone I meet. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me.


I will not judge other riders on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as riders and human beings.


I will stand ready to help any other rider that truly needs my help. I will never ask another rider to do for me what I can do for myself.


I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.


But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other riders like myself.


-Author Unknown-

No comments: