Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I tried, I really tried!!

But I just couldn't do it!

Do what?!

Finish a book! Ack! I have not done that in a LOOOOOONNNG time!

Try as I might, I could not finish the book,"Christ the Lord: Out of Cana" by Anne Rice. This is the second in her new series. Rice, as you know is famed for her Vampire series but recently has turned to her refound faith.

I got the book as a freebie and decided to get the first book before reading this one. Well, the first one was not very good, and very dry to read. I was hoping this would be a better book and unfortunately, it was not. It is not that it is a bad book but it is just plain boring. If she is trying to retell the life of Christ and go into details that are not normally included in the Bible, then she failed. Yeah, she tells stories that come from biblical and unpublished texts on the life of Christ, but I think that having those simply translated would be a better read! I was really having a hard time reading this so I decided to quit. I just could not finish it! I did page ahead and read of Jesus' meeting with the devil in the desert and Rice's writing style that most people are used to came back for that chapter. That was a good chapter. I think that if Rice had attempted to write it in the style she is famed for, it would be a great read, but instead she took the simpler more restrained style and it did not work for me. I was disappointed.

But on a good note, the book I was reading before this one, "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie, is a rip roaring good yarn that only begins the series and I will definately be buying the sequels. The characters are well developed, the action intense, the plot very sophisticated and writing is fun to read. Best book I have read in a long time. Highly recommended!

Well that is all for now.

Later!

No comments: