Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Top of my head ramblings....

Much like the end of the year, the middle of the year (particularly August) is a very, very expensive time for my wife and I. Due to two particularly good Halloween parties we hosted, (15 and 11 years ago) both of our kids were born in the latter part of July and the early part of August, making their birthdays about 10 days apart on the calendar. Both my wife and I are huge proponents of celebrating birthdays and giving gifts to kids and making the most of their special days. Not quite like Christmas, but we do try to make the day special and memoriable. So we purchase gifts, make cakes, host a party or two, and generally shell out a decent amount of cash for the kids. We love them and they deserve it and everyone has a good time! But now, as the kids get older, and they advance in to higher grades, their activities in the school increase and with that, so do the school fees. So, to put the kids in school, get supplies, clothes, sport shoes and clothing, band equipement, medical checkups, and all those other things, and throw in the birthdays, it can be a bit tight in the home of the Longbowman. And because I am a geek and I must feed my inner geek, I bring the family along to GenCon in Indianapolis so that they can be my geek family at the biggest gaming convention in the US. (nothing is sadder than a single geek at a gaming convention.... maybe.) And then you have the hometown celebration (Old Settlers) that I have attended for every year I have been alive the following weekend and you have one very very broke family!

What to do, what to do? To be honest, I have no idea. Cut back on birthdays!? Hell no! God gives each of us a special day and it deserves to be celebrated! Keep the kids from doing so much in school. No way... bad idea. I didn't involve myself in much during my school years and regret it. Skip Gen Con? Possibly, but it is soo much fun and we all have a great time attending it as the last hurrah before school starts. Miss the old hometown celebration that I have never missed? Are you frakkin kidding? That would probably cause the end of the world...

So what to do? You know what... nothing... Do what we want to do. Suck it up, cut in other places or make money elsewhere to help things out. For those that complain about not having money, I feel for you, but if you spending your money and having fun and still complaining about not having money... stop. IF You are not having fun with your money, then you have a MIGHT have a right to complain. But that is your fault. But if you spend it on fun stuff and are still paying your bills, supporting your family, and making ends meet but with nothing left over like just about everyone else, then good for you! You can't take the money with you so use it to live and life will work itself out. God provides for those that make the effort.

August and the beginning of school will be over and then things will be more fluid in the cash department for my family. And we will have had a fun summer despite the fact we will be flat broke. Money is worth nothing if it is not used.

(inspired by a conversation with and unemployed friend who has really good attitude about money and how to use it.)

Later..

No comments: