Friday, April 07, 2006

A new member of the Family


Say hello and welcome to the soon to be newest member of our family! (No, not the boy holding the puppy. He is already a card carrying member of my clan) The cute little ball of fur that you see will soon be a part of our family. He is (currently) an 8 week old German Shepard pup with lots of energy and (hopefully) intelligence! He will be the first puppy we have had in our home in many, many years and I am sure that it will be a real experience for us once again!

He is a full blooded German Shepard with a good pedigree with 5 champions on his sire's (father's) side of the family tree. I do not think we will be planning on showing him, but I am thinking of putting him in the Schutzhund program. That is the "guard dog" program used by many show competitors and police units. He was given an aptitude test for his litter and he ranked #2 out of seven! He could have potential! Alot depends on time, location and cost of the program. It is a good program and really fits the intelligence and personality of Shepards really well.

We have not settled on a name yet, but right now, I am considering calling him Gunnar. A good strong two syllable name that is easy to pronounce. I had also thought of Conan, or Rommel but think Gunnar is my favorite. The other names have a lot of history and meaning to me and carry kind of a big responsibility to live up to them. We have to decide. We don't even have him yet.

I am really looking forward to bringing him home and getting to know him. I will try to update his progress as time goes on!

Later!

No comments: