Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Are you in a play or something?

As many of you know, I will at times, give historical demos and talks at local schools or for schools around the area. Part of the reason I do it is to justify the time and cost that goes into making up a "kit" for these demos. Another reason is to get a bit of money on the side. But most importantly, I like doing them so that I can make learning history fun and exciting. Many would agree that history classes can be dreadfully boring, especially with all the names and dates and such. However, having someone like a re-enactor come in to show students the clothing, equipment, weapons and armor of a soldier from a by gone time, can fuel some real enthusiasm in some kids. Below is a letter that was forwarded to me from a teacher at a school were I did a talk on the Middle Ages. This was in the spring of this current year, but I recently came across it and thought I would share it with you all. It is letters like this that makes doing these demos all the more rewarding...


Hello all,
> > Just wanted you to know that Ryan LOVED Medieval Day,
> and that is
> > an understatement! He raved about it all Friday night and
> at 10 P.M.
> > asked me if I wanted to hear all about from start to finish
> and I said
> > sure.
> > "Well, we started with the Pledge of Allegiance . . ."
> (honest!)
> > and I think I heard every detail of the day until I told
> him we both
> > had to go to bed at midnight. It was a beautiful day of integrated
> > learning for him and he was full of questions, ideas, and,
> most of all
> > enthusiasm. It provoked discussions of Eastern and Western
> cultures,
> > the role of alchemy in evolution of chemistry, cooking and eating
> > habits, weapons and defense, falconry, and much more. As he is
> > relating all this to me while he is jumping, jumping,
> jumping on his
> > trampoline, he exclaimed, "I think it was the best day of
> my life!"
> > Then he paused and said that perhaps that was an exaggeration and
> > thought about it for a minute and then said, "I can't think
> of any better ones."
> > His good mood lasted all weekend as his dad reported to me that
> > Ryan was as happy, and as good, as he has ever seen him.
> > So thank you all - it sounds like it was a tremendous amount of
> > work and I wanted you to know that it was also a tremendous success.
> > With thanks, Buffie

So there you go... proof that history can be fun for kids, if done correctly.

Later!

No comments: