Friday, December 01, 2006

Rootin' Tootin' good holiday!

Hello all! It has been a while since I have felt the creative urge to write anything! I still do not feel all the creative, but I thought I would put down what a traditional Thanksgiving Holiday is for my family. Thanksgiving, is as you know, the forgotten holiday... it gets forgotten between Halloween and Christmas, except by those brave souls that venture out for the early morning Black Friday shopping extravaganza.

However, Thanksgiving is not forgotten by our family. No.. as a matter of fact, it is something that is looked forward to. Not just because we get together and eat more than we should, but because we break out our shootin' irons and have a great time shooting at clay pigeons, stationary targets, beer cans, dirt clods, etc. etc.... It is a great time. This last weekend for the holiday, we had wonderful weather and made the most of it. We gobbled (no pun intended) our food down and headed out behind my dad's barn and started blasting! This was even better for me, because for the first time, my son was able to join in with his own shotgun, and he showed himself to be a very good shot and very responsible with the gun... maybe more so than some of the adults! And to top it off, my wife joined in and also proved to be pretty good! I think she was the best shooter of the girls that were also shooting with us! It was kick ass! It is a real treat for me to see my family do well at stuff like this, especially since it is such a big part of my and my family tradition! But more importantly it is great to see us all having such a great time. My dad keeps talking about wanting to sell his place and move to the big city of 850 people down the road. I can understand his reasoning, but a move like this will kill a tradition like our Turkey Day shoot out. But, that is neither here not there and as long as we can get together as a family to do this stuff and keep on having a great time together, we will. Christmas is coming up and it is looking to be another big family get together. And I am sure that there will be more good times like there were for Thanksgiving. Who says that guns can't create family togetherness!


Later!

ps..
I am headed to Las Vegas in a day or two... Maybe I will post some stuff from Sin City! We will see! What goes on in Las Vegas is not necessarily supposed to leave Las Vegas!

No comments: