Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mortality

Recently, I have attended a number of funeral in the last few months. All this got me to thinking about those things that people say or write about the person that has passed away. Some of the stuff is just perfect for the person, and some of the stuff is maybe a bit contrived. Every once in a while I think about my own mortality and then stop by self by saying, "Hey! I like life! I know there are better places for me on the other part of my journey, but I like where I am right now!" And I really do. I have no plans on checking out. If it comes, it will be a surprise. I fully expect to live to be well over 100 years old. Well over 100... But just in case I don't get to have a say, I was thinking about two things what have really appealed to my beliefs and understanding of life and death. And call me a geek but they both come from the Lord of the Rings movie, The Return of the King.
The first part if right before battle at the wall of Minas Tirith and the exchange between Pippin and Gandalf. Pippin is very shaken and scared about the upcoming battle, which looks like it will not go well for them.

“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.

GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

And also from this movie, there is the final credits song, "Into the West" sung by Annie Lennox. This song is a song of ending, of passing on, but of starting over in a better place. This is one of my favorite songs and I certainly would not mind if this was playing a my memorial. (again, which I intend to avoid at all costs)

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across a distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All Souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say
We have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

Chorus

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West


For thos who have not heard this, here is a YouTube video of the song.

Into The West

Just remember, I am planning on sticking around for a very, very long time! You won't be rid of me!

No comments: