Thursday, July 21, 2005

Motorcycle manners...


What you see before you is my new Motorcycle, a 2003 Honda VTX 1800R. I have had it since June28th, but have not written much about it as on the day I picked it up, one of my dogs suffered either a heat stroke or a brain stroke and the worry kind of took the thrill out of the purchase. And then the 4th of July weekend comes around and that is a busy time for me, so no attempt to hit the Blog was made. And then, I head out to Boston for 10 days. And finally, when I get back, my other dog suffers a major stroke and passes away, leaving me without much concern for writing about something that I have lusted after for so long. But now things are back to normal, so to speak and I must tell you about my Bike.
A Honda VTX 1800 is the largest production V-Twin motorcyle on the streets today, bigger than anything else anyone has to offer. (soon there is to be a Kawasaki 2000) It can (and has) do 70 mph at 3rd gear with 2 more gears to go. It has trememdous power but is a dream to ride. (Although my wife's rear end my argue that point.) But I am not here to talk about the bike. You can see how beautiful she is from the photo. What I want to talk about is the etiquette or manners that bikers must have when riding on the road. Specifically, the greeting or handwave given to other bikers you meet on the road.

As long as I have ridden a motorcycle on the road, I have made a point to wave at other motorcycle riders I meet. However, in these years I have noticed something that makes me curious. Why is it that any time I pass a rider on a Harley Davidson, I rarely get a wave, or even a nod of acknowledgement? If I pass another biker, on something other than a Harley, almost 95% of the time I will get the low hand wave ( the wave of the clutch hand removed from the handle and extended out straight, parallel to the ground), or if he or she is a more friendly, the high hand wave (the wave of the clutch hand, raised up from the handle into the air). If I am riding and wearing a helmet, and the other person is wearing a helmet, and normally not on a Harley, I get a wave almost 100% of the time.

Now, if I pass a Harley rider along the road and I am wearing a helmet, even if I give him or her a wave, I get no wave back. This almost always happens. If I am not wearing a helmet, I might get a wave one out of ten times. Why is this? Maybe when I do get a wave, my guess is that they probably think I am on a Harley and then deserve the brotherly wave. (Sometimes, I get a small finger wave, which I suspect is becasue they can't really tell if I am on a Harley or not.) I know that if it is obvious that I am a "rice burner" I will not get the wave. Why? Are we not all part of the two wheeled brotherhood? We all have motorcycles for pretty much the same reason. Is it part of the Harley handbook that you be a snob and effect the airs of someone who is a bad ass? I know that most Harley riders are really good guys, so why then do they act so unfriendly on the road?

I probably will never really know. It is probably a secret. And in reality it is no big thing, but wouldn't the road be alot nicer if people waved at each other alot more? I for one will wave at every biker I meet. And now, with the VTX, it is much harder to tell from a distance, what her manufacturer is. I bet I get alot more Harley riders waving at me...

Later!

No comments: