Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Gaming (and movie) News!

I can't say that I have felt this excited (or level of dread )about a possible movie since The Lord of the Rings was announced but news has come down the wire about the finalization of a HALO movie based on the kick ass game from XBOX.

Find out more here.... News: Halo 3 to Release Alongside Halo Movie in 2007
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/news/47888.shtml

Thing is, why should I get so excited about this? Well, first off, HALO kicks ass as a game. It also kicks ass as at great social tool to spend more time with friends, but also with your kids. I think that kids, boy or girl, like nothing more than to do kick their parents butt at a video game. My son, and daughter do it quite regularly when we have time to play it. Pretty much everyone has if not played the game, at least heard of it, and like The Lord of the Rings, it has a very active and rabid following of fans. If they manage to do the film correctly and spend the money needed to get the good special effects, this will be a big winner at the box office, at least when the gamers climb out of their dark holes, change their clothes, and put sun screen on their pasty skin to actually go out of the house (!) to see it. However, if the producers fail to listen to fans, or follow the story of the game, it will without a doubt, fail to make even a dent in box office sales.

I for one will geek out probably just as much as I would for any other fandom type of film.

The other problem with this movie is that it means, instead of June of 2006 as the release date for HALO 3, I will now have to wait until 2007 to play, what I hope, is the conclusion of the game. (why not release the game in 2006?) My son will be 13 when this happens and I hope that we will be able to afford the new XBOX to play it on! Ack!

Later!

No comments: