Thursday, February 18, 2016

REFUGE


Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 9
Refuge

Hopefully we all have, need a place where we can feel safe. A place where we can be comfortable and at ease. For some this is a location, a home, a room, or a vacation spot. For me, I am lucky to be able to take refuge in many places, and not all of them are physical locations. My wife and my family are my most reliable and constant refuge. I have refuge in my own home, and oddly I feel I have refuge in my car. Ofte, however I find my refuge in a room full of people, or maybe just one other person, and playing a game. That might sound silly, but in today's age of technological disconnectedness, sitting down at a game table and playing a game with other players across the game board from you, is the equivalent of sitting around the campfire and telling stories. Whether it is a simple game of cards, a role-playing game, or a in-depth strategy game, I really revel in playing games with family and friends. We can play the game and we can socialize with each other all while competing within the game. It is the act of gaming that allows me to let go of the responsibilities of work and life. Remember when we were kids and our job was to play? We have forgotten how to play as we become adults and I take refuge in the "play" that gaming allows. Gaming is one of my favorite places of refuge.

No comments: