Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's day is OK again...

Okay again you ask? What could I possibly mean? Hasn't Valentine's Day always been okay and a good day? Well, as a matter of fact, for my wife and I, it has not always been the best of days to express our love and affection for one another. To begin with, in the past, we always seemed to try too hard, or were too poor, or something got in the way of making it a nice day to enjoy. My wife had one of her favorite cats die on Valentine's day. One of our biggest and nastiest fights came on Valentine's day. Eventually, we just stopped recognizing Valentine's day and things seemed to be much better on that day. Nothing big, just a card and a small treat and it was all good. Sometimes when you try to put too much into a particular day, be it Valentine's or a birthday, or maybe even a big holiday, you can include too much stress and a day that is supposed to be special, instead turns out to be a big mistake and a disaster.

My wife and I have only casually observed Valentine's Day for the last umpteen years or so and it has been good for us, but we never really acknowledged the day as "Valentine's Day." It was just another day. But I think that all of that has changed for us now. We have another reason to celebrate the big "V" day.

Our wonderfully loveable, well behaved, handsome, protective, and incredibly smart dog, GUNNAR was born on Valentine's day of 2006. This year, we got to celebrate his birthday in addition to doing all the regular Valentine type of stuff. We did not go all out for the Valentine stuff... cards for each other and the kids, some treats and a nice meal out was the order of the day. I liked it. Nothing big, nothing outlandish. (I did get some "Sharries Berries" in the mail from my wife... gourmet choclate covered strawberries... oh. my. God. Yum.) And, along with the Valentine day stuff, we got to lavish attention and love on our pooch. We even made a dog food based birthday cake for him. (We have entered into that realm of crazy dog owners, I know...) He loved the cake! We even shared it with some of his doggie buddies. It didn't hurt that we had a huge snow storm that socked us in for two days and the kids were out of school, we were off work, and he could have us to himself for as much as he wanted. He loves playing in the snow! It was a good day for him and for us.

So... Valentine's day is back on the calendar for me. I will never again make it a huge day, because after all, it is just a Hallmark Holiday, but now it is more for my family and I.

Happy Birthday to Gunnar Valentin Von Geiken (yes, there is no "e" on the end of his middle name, the "i" is pronounced as an "ee")


Later!

No comments: