Friday, June 06, 2008

First the Guns, now the knives...

Looks like the gun ban in Britain has opened up a new wave of violence that any normal person could have told you was going to happen. Young people, primarily 18 and under, those same people who would not have been able to get a gun in the first place, are increasingly turing to cutlery to take their aggression out on others. Factoids from the AP story are that in 2006 17 teenagers were killed in London by people using knives, 27 in 2007, and 16 so far this year! "Many young people there are saying the pressure to carry and use knives is growing. It's increasing. It is stupid things like 'you have spoken to my girlfriend, I'll slash you up,' or 'If I see him out, he having it.'"

You all know I am totally against any kind of further gun restriction laws because the ones we already have don't work, and frankly if more law abiding people were allowed to carry their guns on any given day, fewer criminals would be willing to take a chance on hurting someone during a crime, or even attempt the crime. Go look it up for yourself. More guns in the right hands produce less crime. I am not gonna belabor this argument. You know how I stand. Either accept it or shove off.

Now it looks like places like London are going to start placing bans on knives. They have lowered the age limit to those who can be charged by carrying a knife to 16. With the charge, anyone 16 or over carrying a knife with a blade 3 inches or more will be prosecuted and could face up to 4 years in prison. The mayor has even proposed searching people for knives without having to justify their suspicions beforehand. Hey, my pocketknife, which I literally use everyday (without anyone, save myself, getting hurt or killed with) is over 3 inches!

I can see where eventually the head in the sand, namby-pamby take more of my rights away so I can be safe, gun control idiots in this country will pick up on this and start to regulate whether or not I can carry my pocketknife.

And then what next? My walking stick?!

No comments: