Friday, November 07, 2008

The Rainbow Bridge

Yesterday I went to the visitation of a beloved veterinarian from my hometown. This man was a wonderful person to meet and to have as a vet. He truly cared about the animals and the people he served. He helped me put to sleep two of my beloved dogs when the time came to do so. I struggled at the idea but he helped me to see that my love of the dogs was selfish and only prolonged agony for them. He did this with a compassion for both myself and my dogs that I will always remember. And I am sure he did this for every client that was faced with the same decision. Our town vet was active in the community and a huge supporter of our school system, especially the local FFA chapter.

He was only 58 years old. He had survived brain cancer years ago and returned to work as if nothing happened. He was a good man.

Yesterday while walking to the visitation, my wife and I were stopped in our tracks by an absolutely beautiful sunset which was accented by a huge, bright, completely full, 180 degree rainbow. It looked as though it were spanning the entire east end of our town. After admiring this beautiful site, my wife and I went into the funeral home for the visitation and to pay our respects. We moved along the line to the casket and family, but when we got there the family was not present. Apparently they too had been told of the rainbow and went outside to see it. I thought it a nice thing for the family to see on a day that was for them, very depressing. They returned with huge smiles and it was then that we were told of the poem that was in the memorial card printed up for the visitation. In it was this:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....


Author unknown...


Pretty neat huh?

I don't know what you might think of it, but I am pretty sure that there are alot of happy pets greeting Doc right now.

Later!

No comments: