Friday, November 13, 2009

Noise... coming to a close...

In another full day, my experiment with being without a cellphone will be over. I have traveled without it, gone to work without it and simply done without it. It is kind of a relief in many ways. I don't worry about answering the phone immediately, I am not tempted to use it at all times, especially when becoming bored, and I have found that I can still communicate with others just fine, and immediate response is not really that big of a deal. The nicest thing was that I learned I don't have to respond to work email when I am not at work! (I was getting bad at that.) But what I find the most interesting is the expectation that others have of you. They EXPECT you to have a cell phone and have it on you. Much like I expect that when I call someone, I will call them on the cell phone I expect them to be carrying. They and I expect that the phone will be answered on the first few rings or if not, respond immediately to a text message.

The young lady who is doing this experiment with me says it sucks for her, but she is learning to plan ahead, make detailed arrangements in advance, and doing other things rather than disappearing into the cell phone. I will be excited to hear what other insight she has had.

I don't know if this had made my or her life easier but it was fun to try and I suggest that some of you try it yourself if you think you spend too much time with you phone attached to your ear or fingers attached to the key pad. You might be surprised at the experience.

No comments: