Thursday, August 14, 2008

A busy but fun weekend ahead!

As soon as I get out of work today, the weekend begins! Tonight I am headed back to my childhood home for the Old Settlers Reunion, a small town celebration that I have not missed since I was born. It is a perfect picture of the type of celebration that you would expect from a town of 850 people. A midway for the kids, bingo, food, entertainment,and giveways for everyone, A huge beer tent for adults, teen dance, and lots of people coming back for a visit. Usually there are close to 15,000 people who come through this little town for the weekend. Often there is a high school reunion planned at the same time to make it even more fun. (My 25th is this weekend, but I only got notice of it 2 weeks ago...) It even has the traditional parade on Saturday, but this is one that does not feature a G.L.A.A.D. float, no anti war protestors, no politicians, well, okay, no Democratic Party politicians, and only good wholesome types of floats and participants. Lots of kids on bikes, horses or in costume. Lots of church floats, and floats dedicated to Veterans and active soldiers alike. This Old Settlers Reunion celebration has been going on for 121 years and is one of the oldest small town celebration in the State of Illinois and the nation. I will be taking the kids tonight to let them run free while I help out at the Bingo stand and legally take money from those who care to try their hand at the game.

On Friday, I hope to get the family up early and off we go to Indianapolis for GenCon Indy. The biggest and best four days of gaming. 30,000 gamers converge on Indy for gaming 24 hours a day. It is really amazing to see and visit. We are signed up to play a few games with people from around the country, my son is entering into a youth miniature painting contest, and we are hoping to have a bit of fun in downtown Indianapolis in the evening. I will post photos and updates on the weekend later.

So, if you read this blog and try to contact me in anyway electronically, chances are that you will not be able to. I will be either up to my eyeballs in bingo cards, or delirious from the gaming ecstacy that is GenCon.

L8r!

No comments: