Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Things you come to expect in a small town...

Recently I was hit on the head by the realization that I am lucky to be living in a small town. It was when, early in the morning, I was playing with Gunnar, and along comes the older couple on their morning walk, right on time, with a hand full of MilkBone dog biscuits. This couple travels the street of my town and hands out dog treats to the dogs they meet along their walk, making friends with not only the dogs, but the owners. Gunnar has been the recipient of these treats now for the last few months, and like clock work, he (and I) expect them every morning at the same time. But it is not just them. Recently, my town lost one of those people you always expect to meet. I will call him Bicycle Ed. Ed rode all over town, collecting cans, picking up trash, commenting on current events, and generally being a good neighbor. You could always see him riding around, his bike basket filled with his latest findings, his cigarette dangling from his mouth as he rode, and a ready wave hello to anyone he passed. I think everyone in my town knew him. He died recently and I think the town is poorer for it. Come to find out, he was a WWII vet who was involved in the Normandy invasion. Never would have guessed it. I miss seeing him around. There are a number of these people you come to expect to meet on a regular basis in my town.

Other things I have come to expect; leaving your back door open and unlocked so that you neighbors can get in to borrow something, do a favor for you, or simply let the dog out. Having your yard mown while you are gone on vacation. Having the mayor call you by your first name. Being able to get behind the bar at your local restaurant to make a specialty drink. Knowing that for the most part, there is someone on your block at almost anytime, you can call on for help. The list goes on.

I moved out of a big town about 15 years ago and have never regetted it. Maybe you can find places that have these similar characters and expectations, but I doubt many of them are larger than 8,000 people in size.

I don't know why I am writing this other than I thought it needed mentioning. After all, the blog is FOR WHAT IT"S WORTH.

later!

No comments: