Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Guns and girls

Hey! Labor Day has come and gone. And with it another Firepower Weekend. A weekend filled with Guns, Grilling, Explosives, and generally good times. This year however was a muted affair, seeing that good friends of ours were getting married and so we decided to go to the wedding rather than camping out. Now isn't that good of us?

Anyway, we still got all the weaponry out and had a great time, if only for one day. But this time I got to enjoy watching my wife and some of my female friends do some shooting. I found this very rewarding. To be able to shoot and handle a gun with some proficiency is normally thought to be a manly ability, but to see women work their way around a gun is something I find to be really cool.

And before you get you mind in the gutter, this is not a comment on jiggly girls in bikinis with machine guns. Although that has a certain appeal to it too.

My wife only really tried her hand at shooting at clay skeet targets about a year or so ago when I bought for my son a youth sized gun. She found that she could actually handle it and after getting comfortable with it, found she could hit with it! This weekend she was doing really well, hitting about 6 out of 10 and even knocking a few high speed sideways moving targets. It was really impressive to see and made me pretty proud!

And then there were some of the other gals who had never shot before, or had only limited experience. Two young ladies got to try shooting for the very first time. Whether they will ever try to shoot again, I cannot say, but I think that they at least enjoyed the experience and might not be afraid to try it again if the opportunity arises for them.

One of my good friends is just now discovering the fun that shooting can be. She has even recently obtained her Firearms Owners ID card. Big step. She is even considering buying a gun! The more guns in legal hands the better! I think that she always had an affinity for guns, but never had the exposure or opportunity to try them out. As of right now, she is well on her way to becoming part of the gun culture in the USA! And I would like to think I had something to do with that.

I have at least one more girl that I need to turn on to guns. That is my daughter. She does have her own BB gun, (pink and everything!) but she is reluctant to shoot a big gun. I think she is intimidated but she will get over that. I refuse to have a child of mine not be comfortable around guns and not know how to handle them. Whether or not she takes to them is up to her, but at least she will know how to use them properly and safely.

So conclude this little posting, if you have a gun, take your daughters, girlfriends, neighborhood girls, wives, moms and grandmas out shooting. I don't think you will regret it and I am pretty sure they will enjoy it!

Later!

No comments: