Thursday, September 18, 2008

So what makes Obama more qualified?

In a string of hypocritical comments by someone I was talking to yesterday, I realized that everything negative this person was saying about Sarah Palin, could be turned around and said of Barack Obama.

First, Palin has had very little time as a politican, with only time as a mayor and two years as a Governor. Well, guess what. Obama is only a freshman senator from Illinois (where most of us in Illinois had never heard of him!) and most of that time has been spent campaigning instead of working on behalf of Illinois citizens in Congress!

Next, Palin has no foreign policy experience. Well, I don't think good old Barack has any more experience. As a matter of fact, I would think he has less! At least as a governor, you are making deals and working with foreign leaders for business matters and the like. I would count that as having some experience.

It was also said, that Palin is popular because she is just like the majority of Americans. Trouble at home, busy schedules with school, work and kids, and other things that plague normal American families. It was said, that the American people should not vote for someone that is just like them or reminds them of their neighbor, but vote for the smartest person or the person that is part of the political machine because they are better suited for it. Well, as far as I can tell, it has been the "smart politicians" who have failed us and maybe we do need a regular old neighbor like person in the White House. Maybe balancing a checkbook will not be so unfamiliar to them that something like a balanced budget is not a unknown concept to them!

And what really struck me was that this person was comparing Obama to Palin. Like Obama was running against Palin. Excuse me, but isn't Obama running again McCain? Looks like this person, and the media for that matter, are more afraid of Palin than McCain. Either way, I think that having Palin on the Republican ticket, has made people look more closely at Obama and they are coming to realize that maybe, he is not the messiah that they thought he was.

I don't like to talk politics but I was just floored by the fact that everything that was spewed to me, could have been completely reversed and applied to Obama, but it never occurred to the person to do so. Talk about single mindedness.

For what it's worth...

Later

2 comments:

The guy who wears Chuck Taylors with a suit. said...

More left-wing elitism. Bugs me!

Anonymous said...

Is it any wonder that a lot of Americans don't vote? It's this kind of crap- from both sides, and all different kinds of people- that has made this less than 'the great American democracy.'
That being said, I'm glad I live here and I don't want to live anywhere else!