Monday, November 29, 2004

Random thoughts on traveling to Florida.

I recently drove my family to Florida to visit family there. It was a good time all the way around but I thought of some intresting things while there.

First, Kentucky is absolutely beautiful.

Ever notice that the further south you go, the more numerous the billboard signs get?

70 mph speed limits rock. It may only be 5 mph faster than in Illinois, but it feels like you are really getting somewhere alot faster.

While in Florida, we visited Epcot. While there in the "England" area we were eating and I asked our very friendly waiter where he was from. After a few more questions he quickly said, "You're going to aske me about our kings, aren't you. I only know of one, Henry VIII." I have met a number of average English persons and they all seem to be fairly unknowledgeable about their history. Granted, most US high schoolers don't know history well, but I think they are better schooled than people give them credit for. I have met only a few people from England who really knew their own history, but they were at historical re-enactments. Oh well, just a comment on that. And while I was there, I found out that my family name has a heraldic crest! A sable dragon, rampant, on a field of gold. Cool! Given sometime in the late 1400's.

Also, at Epcot, I learned that in the native language of Morocco, my name means "religion."

There are way too many cars on the road anymore..

How is it that Georgia can have gas for $1.71 and twenty miles later in Florida, it is $1.97?

Vacations in Florida aren't expensive, it's the eating in Florida that is expensive. The last thing we bought in Florida was a bottle of water for $3.75!!!

Florida smells rotten to me. Nothing personal to Floridains and you have a wonderful state, but it just smells rotten to my nose.

No comments: