Monday, January 12, 2009

An interesting, yet unsatisfying weekend...

Let's see, I helped do cleanup on a new business starting in town, gamed with some friends, sent my wife off to a girl scout activity, went to church and Sunday school, helped my mom and dad out at home, stood in audience while my son became married,had sex and became a father in a XBOX video game, attended a Boy Scout committee meeting, and watched a movie with my wife all this weekend, but it still felt like I did nothing of much importance or quality.

I just can't lay my finger on it, but the weekend felt like a wash. All these things should have made me feel rewarded but they didn't. My wife's excursion to the Girl Scout activity was almost a disaster due to lack of planning on part of the hosts and organizers, and the game I was running just didn't turn out as fun as I would liked it to have. (And how can you not have fun with half a dozen kobolds running around trying to kill each other in order to eat babies?) Going to church on Sunday morning was good but at Sunday school I was all set to have a youth meeting with the kids, but found out it was put off until next week. So instead we went out for breakfast. We did have a very kind person pay for all of our meals without us knowing about it, so that was a reward in itself.

And helping my folks out really does make me feel good, but this time, because I know what I am doing in more in preparation for my father losing his right leg due to complications of ill health, I just was not feeling good about it.

Then my son is playing Fable II (a video game on XBOX) and he takes his character into the actions that get him married, buying a house, and having sex and making a family, which by itself was hilarious because he was so embarassed about it, but I could have turned it into something about life learning. Instead I went and made supper.

The movie was good and I always enjoy hanging out with my wife to watch a movie. It is part of what we do as a couple. But even that was kind of a let down.

I think it is because over the weekend and last week, a number of things, from friends in emotional strife, to my dad's ill health, and the ever-present gray frozen condition of Central Illinois, I just could not really enjoy this weekend, and that sucks. This was a great weekend, I just could not see it for all the downers that surrounded it.

Sorry for the complete uselessness of this blog post, but I just wanted to get it off my chest. Next weekend will be better.

later!

No comments: