Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Gaming--- the next generation

Recently I got to do something that I have wanted to do in a long time.... No! Not that! I finally got to game, and I mean really game, with my son. I have, since the day he was born, wanted to teach him some of my favorite games and have him has my gaming bud. Well, now that day has finally come. At the urging of a friend of mine, we endeavored to teach our boys the newest version of the classic game of RISK. It is RISK 2210AD and it is a fantastic reworking of a great game. Happily, the boys took to it very quickly and even were able to remind us of rules that we told them about but were forgetting to adhere to at times. It took a bit of hand holding to get them through and I won't say we didn't help them with strategy but in the end, the way they played the game was up to them and win or lose, it was their choice. I did win the game and Julian came in third, but for me it was better just to see him enjoying it and saying how cool the game was and that he wants to play again!

And over the Christmas break I introduced Julian to D&D, a game that is very dear to me in more ways that just one. This too he took to very well. I have since played another game with him and another younger player and her family and we had a great time. At times I hear him talking to his friends about this game in tones of excitement and anticipation. It makes me feel good to know that he likes it and that the game can create fun and excitement for him too. (However, I must remember that he is 10 and 10 year olds tend to get tired after few hours of battling blood thirsty monsters) I hope the game sticks for him and that he eventually takes off on his own with it and starts it up with his friends. I remember the good times that game created for me and my buds and hope that it does the same thing for him.

I love my kids and want to be their friend as much as their father. Maybe this will be one way to insure that relationship. Now that I think of it, being a dad is kind of like being a DM for a D&D game. You get to be the person who showers rewards, controls their environment, and becomes their worst nightmares...

Anyway, go out and play a game with your kids. You might find that you like it!
Later!

No comments: