Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lenten Photo Challenge: Day 8 - Remember


Nothing deep today... just a story of remembering.

Today, as most work days, I like to take a walk around the Parkland College campus to get some exercise and just get out of the office a bit. While doing so, I was remembering walking the same halls and stairwells when I was a student, fresh out of High School and trying to make a go of it as a college student. I was not a stellar student while studying at Parkland College but I did okay. What I remember most were the people I met, the friends I made and the fun I had trying out classes that were not part of my field of study.

It was there that I took my first radio class, working at WPCD and falling in love with something that would eventually become my career. And I remember even further back, as a young boy listening to the few stations that we could actually receive in my neck of the woods, thinking that it would be really great to be on the radio or have a career in radio. Jump back ahead again to my days as a Parkland student and I remember being told to go volunteer at this little place called the Illinois Radio Reader, not just to help out but to get more practice reading script on the air.

Eventually that stint as a volunteer opened up the opportunity for me to take the role of director of the Illinois Radio Reader which in turn (after 20 years) opened the door for me to take a job back at Parkland College and the very same radio station that I got my start at.

Now I have in my office the little plaque that used to be on the wall of the WPCD studio that showed where former students had moved onto after their time at WPCD. For me it is a full circle.

Funny what a simple walk with remind you of.




No comments: